Bengtsår camping areas
Overall, the camping island comprises seven separate areas, of which Rantaniitty, Niemennokka, Sofianlehto and Lahdenpohja are located on the main island, while the camping areas of Barnholm, Aspholm 1 (to the north) and Aspholm 2 (to the south) are located on nearby islands.
The City of Helsinki’s facilities are smoke-free and substance-free, and the principles of the Smoke-free Helsinki programme are followed in them.
Camping island as a whole
In the area of Bengtsår camping island, there are seven separate camping areas, each of which features a dock, a cooking shelter, a dry toilet, a campfire spot and a tent area. In addition to this, two wood-heated saunas are also available.
Camping area equipment as of 1 June
The motorboats intended for use by camps are kept at the island’s main dock, and they can be borrowed via the island’s information point (similarly to other equipment). The boats available for loan are equipped with an electric outboard motor, and users are provided with guidance in their use before a boat is loaned out to camps.
- Dining shelter
- Dry toilet
- Grilling spot
- 6/9 Niger tents + groundsheets + base grille
- Field camp tent + equipment
- Gas cooker + gas bottle
- Basic kitchen equipment for 30 people
- Pot for heating water
- Drinking water canisters, 30 and 50 litres
- Cleaning equipment
- Boat with an electric outboard motor (loan)
Peaceful camping and tidiness of camping areas
On the camping island, everyone is allowed to camp in peace: every camp in the camping area must respect the other camps’ area and the quiet hours, which start at 23:00. Every camp must clean up after themselves when leaving the camping area and leave it tidy for the next camps.
There are two wood-heated saunas on the island that can be booked for camps during the summer season.
The saunas are in use every day. At least two sauna slots are reserved for a camp per week.
- The sauna slots are 13:00–15:00, 15:00–17:00, 18:00–20:00 and 20:00–22:00. You can ask the information point attendant about available slots once your camp starts.
- The campers heat up the sauna by themselves. A few hours should be reserved for heating up the sauna. Try to make sure that the sauna is left warm for the next users and note that the amount of warm water is limited.
- Particularly large camps should ensure the sufficiency of water by also heating up the cauldrons.
- Mornings are reserved for cleaning the saunas, which are therefore not in use during this time.
- The Seaside Sauna has a washing machine and detergent for camps. The washing machine can be used freely during daytime as long as it does not disrupt the peace of the other sauna bathers. For example, mornings are a good time to use the washing machine.
From autumn to spring: Seaside Sauna
The sauna facilities feature a wood-heated sauna room, two shower rooms and two dressing rooms. In addition to the sauna facilities, the building also has a large sitting room with a fireplace, a combined kitchen and living room as well as accommodation for a total of 19 people. The accommodation rooms are furnished with beds, blankets and pillows. As the camping island does not provide bed linen, campers must bring their own.
The kitchen recess is equipped with eating utensils and cooking equipment for roughly 30 people as well as a dishwasher, an electric stove, a microwave, a refrigerator, a freezer and a coffee machine. The facilities also include a washing machine.
From autumn to spring: Beach Sauna
The sauna facilities have a wood-heated sauna room and two shower rooms. The two accommodation rooms also function as dressing rooms. The first room is furnished with two bunk beds, while the second is furnished with one bunk bed, a fireplace and a kitchen recess.
The bunk beds can easily fit 2–3 people each, and they are furnished with mattresses, pillows and blankets. As the camping island does not provide bed linen, campers must bring their own.
The kitchen recess is equipped with eating utensils for roughly 10 people as well as a dishwasher, an electric stove, a microwave, a refrigerator-freezer and a coffee machine. The facility can accommodate roughly nine people.